March 26, 2020
To whom it may concern:
We would like to update the Japanese current situation regarding the pandemic of COVID-19.
JMDP staff is working at the offices as usual, and there are no restrictions on proceeding with every coordination stage.
In effort to identify donors who may have or be at risk for contracting COVID-19, JMDP has been screening donors from the initial stage. All donors are instructed to inform us of any changes in their health status.
JMDP have updated the donor suitability criteria.
A. If either question below is answered as Yes, the donor will be released.
1. Have you been diagnosed with COVID-19?
2. Have you been in close contact with anyone diagnosed with coronavirus infection?
3. (To a donor candidate with fever; a temperature of 37.5℃ or higher and/or with respiratory problems), have you traveled to a high-risk country* in the last 14 days? *high-risk country : signed by the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare
4. Have you been in close contact with anyone who have the fever (a temperature of 37.5℃ or higher), respiratory problems, and traveled to a high-risk country within the last 14 days?
5. Have you traveled overseas within the last 4 weeks?
6. Have you been in close contact with anyone diagnosed with coronavirus infection within the last 4 weeks?
B. If either question below is answered as Yes, the information will be provided to the transplant center and the transplant center will decide whether to proceed with the donor.
1. Has it passed over 3 months since you recovered from COVID-19?
2. Have you traveled to a high-risk country within the last 3 months? (In the case of within the past 4 weeks, please refer to A-5.)
3. Have you been in close contact with anyone diagnosed with coronavirus infection within the last 3 months? (In the case of within the past 4 weeks, please refer to A-6.)
To transplant centers abroad;
JMDP will do the best to coordinate our donors for your recipients according to your request, although some difficulties exist over Corvid 19 pandemic. For the transportation of HSC from Japan to your country, we announce the followings;
1. In case that fresh BM or PB is requested, it will be transferred at the appropriate airport from Japanese courier to the courier from your country.
2. In case that a TC plans to cryopreserve the JMDP donor PBSC and asks Japanese harvest center to cryopreserve it, AC will cryopreserve it.
3. In case that a TC plans to cryopreserve the JMDP donor BM and asks Japanese collection center to cryopreserve it, it may be difficult depending on CC.
4. When cryopreserved product is required, please prepare a dry shipper by yourself.
We will continue to update as the COVID-19 situation changes.